By admin | September 2, 2008
Are you still thinking that PHP is an web-only language or is “not a real language”? Well, that used to be true with PHP 2.0, but with PHP5, it’s not so true anymore. Here are 12 things you need to know about PHP:
- PHP is not only for the web. PHP used to be only a web module or a CGI script, but that has since changed, since with the PHP CLI and the PHP-GTK2 binding. See #3 and #4.
- PHP is a real language. Despite the myths, PHP is an actual programming language. This is a very bad myth, since when someone asks for help on PHP in a forum or a mailing list, they will get a reply like “get a real language like C”. PHP is just as real as any other programming language.
- PHP can be used to write command line (DOS/Bash) scripts. Using the PHP CLI, one can write command line PHP scripts just like C or Java.
- PHP can be used to write graphical applications. Using the PHP-GTK2 binding, one can write graphical PHP applications.
- PHP can be used to write OpenGL applications. Although this appears to be experimental, one can actually write applications that use OpenGL using php-opengl.
- PHP is not a language with security holes. Most cases of PHP and bad security are because of poorly written scripts that rely on insecure programming practices (such as register_globals).
- PHP is not a languang without OOP (object oriented programming). Read PHP’s page on PHP5 object oriented programming - you will see that it is like most other OOP implementations.
- PHP is not a typeless language. Despite rumors, PHP is a typed language (even though it is not strongly typed). See PHP’s types page for more info.
- PHP is a free and open source language. The PHP interpreter is released under the free PHP License. If you don’t like the PHP License version, then use the LGPL’d version by Roadsend PHP.
- PHP can be used to write web robots (bots). Using cURL, PHP’s built-in www functions or the http class, one can write web robots with PHP too.
- PHP is not an ancient language. It is fairly modern, and is 4th generation too.
- PHP is not useless.
If you found this article helpful or useful, please help Compdigitec by spreading the word or by leaving a comment. Don’t forget to subscribe to Compdigitec Labs!
If you found this article helpful or interesting, please help Compdigitec spread the word. Don’t forget to subscribe to Compdigitec Labs for more useful and interesting articles!